Ian McNamee & Partners

Call Today

  • Queanbeyan/Googong: 02 6297 5555
  • Jerrabomberra/Canberra: 02 6283 5555
  • Tralee: 02 6283 5555

How to apply for a rental property

This is a very exciting time! Once you have decided which property you would like to rent, you will then need to complete a tenancy application form.

You can download an application form from this website, or you can collect one from our office. You can also request one from the staff member who shows you through the property.

You will need to disclose some personal and contact details, as well as current and previous rental history information. We will require your employment and income details, and further we will need to access some identification. Your references need to be readily available with current and correct business hours and after hours contacts numbers, to be provided by you, as the applicants. We will also need copies of 100 points of identification submitted for each tenant applying for the property. Our friendly reception staff will be more than happy to help you with photocopying these in our front office at no charge.

Finally, please also note that we do check the two national tenant databases as part of our application process.

The application procedure is simply to confirm that applicants are able to pay the rent on time and keep the property clean, damage free and maintain the grounds to a high standard.

It is important that you follow the instructions outlined on the application form, and complete the form in it’s entirety.

We strive to get back to our tenants within 48 hours, to let you know if you have been successful or unsuccessful with your application. If you have a good application, we will be happy to keep it on file for you, and try to help you find another property which is suitable.

Emergency Maintenance

All maintenance should be reported to your property manager, and ideally it should be in writing, so both you and the property manager have a record of it.

In situations of an emergency, please phone one of our offices. If it is after hours, the answering machine will give you the contact number of the relevant tradespeople to contact.

Your lease agreement does not authorise you to do repairs yourself. If you do so, the landlord is not obliged to reimburse you for the cost incurred. We ask that you use our tradespeople as they are trusted by our company to carry out necessary emergency repairs.

Emergency items are generally those that could cause injury to the tenant or damage to the property, and may include:

Giving notice to vacate

The notice required will depend on the type of lease you have signed. If you wish to vacate the property on a non-fixed term (periodical) lease, you are required to give a full 21 days notice in writing, or one calendar month if your rent is paid monthly.

We always ask that if you are on a fixed term lease you give the maximum amount of notice possible so we can schedule in your final inspection date and time, and give the landlord plenty of time to re-let the property. We will also contact you at least a month before your end of lease date to check whether you are staying or not.

Breaking your lease

If you are on a fixed term lease agreement and need to vacate the property before the expiry of the lease, you must notify your property manager in writing as soon as possible advising of your intending vacating date. We will then be in contact with you to discuss the advertising and times available to show prospective new tenants through the property.

As per your lease agreement you will be responsible for the following:

Please be assured that we will do everything we can to find a suitable tenant as quickly as possible to help minimise your cost, but please note we require a vacating date in order to begin the re-letting process